Friday, March 26, 2010

Once, twice, three times a lady.

Technically, I have completed my March softie challenge - with my owl mobile, but was kindly lent a pattern from Claire that I had been eyeing for quite a while. I was blog surfing and noticed Mrs Perkins on Claire's blog. I knew from the first time that I saw this giraffe that I had to make it for the nursery.

The first Mrs Perkins, I made to the pattern size. I actually found Melly & Me patterns to be lacking in instructions - not that you need a lot of instructions for this pattern, but they could still do with some improvement. Claire, when she made Mrs Perkins, said that she had an issue with Mrs Perkins horns, which I have to agree, they are fiddly to turn and they did take a couple of tries.

Ella is obsessed with this little giraffe (or Bra as she calls it) so I thought that I would make one for her, but bigger.


Introducing up-sized Mrs Perkins. I enlarged the pattern to 141% of the size (this is what the photocopier took it up to) A lot easier to work on, and Ella is just as smitten with her.

I just love how she looks with the bold fabric, and the larger size is much better.


And together with smaller Mrs Perkins - so you can see the difference in size.

Big sister and little brother - so cute.

March challenge DONE!!!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Not very practical, but oh so cute!

There are a lot of baby things that are cute, that are far from practical, and I think this little bib is one of them. OK, it is more practical than a lot of the bibs that I bought when I was pregnant with Ella, as they were so small that they would not be able to catch anything, but still not the most practical baby item that you could own. However, what it lacks in practicality, it makes up in cuteness.

It is not crooked, just the angle that the photo was taken on

It has denim on the front, with one of the last scraps of my hippo fabric. It is backed with towelling (so I guess it could be turned over to wipe up spills)


Really quick and easy to make. I think I will be making some more, just using more practical fabric.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Singing owls

When I was pregnant with Ella, I went nuts buying everything that a baby could need or want and a lot of other things in between. I thought I would have only boys, so when I found out that I was having a girl, it was open slather with the shopping.

Now that we have baby number two coming in less than 7 weeks, we are not as flush in the money department that we were before, plus I am a bit more wise to the trap of the baby shops.

One of the things that I spent quite a bit of money on was a beautiful cot set for Ella - including the quilt, bumper, cot sheets, pillow case, blanket and cot mobile. The only thing that I did use out of that set was the cot sheets, the blanket and the cot mobile.

I am fore-going a cot set this time, but wanted a nice mobile for the room. I did not want to spend $60.00 - $100.00, which is what they are in the shops, so I thought I would re-use and recycle.

This is a picture of Ella's mobile - I still love it today, but how simple is it. I worked out that it was two pieces of fabric that were covering the plastic base. It took less than a minute to take it apart and no more than 30 mins to sew a new cover for it. The big question was then, what do I make for the mobile?????



Claire kindly lent me her Sock Mobile Pattern which was perfect!!! The only problem that I had was trying to find the right socks to make it with. You needed socks that were 6-18 months and did not have brand name or grip pimples on the bottom of them. I also wanted to keep them in the nursery colours of blue and brown. After going through a couple of stores, I realised that this was not an easy task - but I managed to get pretty close and not send myself broke with buying name brand socks.

So cute!!!! They are relatively quick and easy to make - I found that it is easier and quicker hand sewing the whole owl rather than using the sewing machine.


The only thing that I have to do now is find the musical bit for it. It is in a box somewhere, but where??????

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Black and white pippo's

I have a fascination with O+S patterns. If you are a follower of this blog, you will know that I have made quite a few of their patterns. I actually own basically all of the O+S patterns, and there are some that are still waiting in their packet for me to try.

One of the patterns that I have made more than once is the O+S Sunday Brunch Jacket - actually I have now made it four times. I love this pattern - it is so quick and easy to make.


I have had this Japanese hippo (pippo) fabric for more than 6 months now and I have been waiting to make something with it. I am disappointed that I only bought 1 yard of this fabric, I should have bought a lot more. It is perfect for this jacket, it is thicker than quilters cotton, it has a canvas feel to it.

Usually I would only make the jacket, but with only 7 weeks until the baby comes, I really needed to get cracking with my winter sewing, so this time I also made the matching skirt. For the skirt I have used black pinwale cord. This skirt pattern is so easy. I am sure that I will be making more of them this winter - as they look great teamed with tights and boots.




Try to get a 2 year old to stand still

So there you have it, two pieces down for winter - I don't want to think how many to go!!!