Last Tuesday Harry had a Doctors appointment to check his progress. We were told that he was doing really well and he should be fine to have his operation on Tuesday 29th (today actually). I was so happy and thought that in another week all would be fine. Fast forward to the next day, which was a hectic day at work as I had to attend a course and was only there half a day anyway. I get a phone call from John Hunter Hospital saying that there had been a cancellation and Harry could have his operation tomorrow. Now this was HUGE!!!! This is a public hospital - the waiting period for this operation was over 12 MONTHS!! - this meant that he had gotten in for the operation in 1 month and 13 days!! Not only was he going to have the operation, but it was going to be free and save me $2,500.00.
Panic stations!!! Trying to call the GP to find out if he could have the operation, panic that I would not have enough time to get everything done. The GP gave him the all clear to go ahead with the operation and we were given our instructions from the hospital to be there at 7:00am the next day.
Harry was not really that well on Thursday and panic started to set in. He was coughing and wheezing and the anaesthetist was not sure if Harry could go ahead. My heart sunk. I don't think I could have handled two cancelled operations. They checked his oxygen saturation levels on two machines and as they were not far off 100%, we were given the OK to have the operation after a debate with a couple of anaesthetists. Usually to go under a general you need to be well for 6 weeks - in Harry's case, I don't think he has ever been well for 6 weeks at one time. So they decided that this was a good as Harry gets, so they would risk it, but he might have to stay in hospital over night on oxygen.
Harry was first to be operated on for the day. We went in at 8:30am. After they had put him to sleep, I was told to go and wait in the family room as it would be 10 minutes and he would be out. 10 mins passed, 20 mins passed, I started to get very nervous, 30 mins passed, my heart started racing as I thought that something must have gone wrong. I nervously walked to the reception of the operating theatres, they told me that Harry was fine and the operation was still going.
40 mins, 45 mins, 50 mins passed and finally the surgeon came out. "You told me 10 mins - you were 50 mins!" I told him. Both the surgeon and the anaesthetist were there and they said that it was a very difficult operation. Harry's left ear was the worst (which this is his good ear for hearing) and both his ear canals were very narrow and they had a hard time getting the grommets in, plus they had to suck out a lot of gunk that was in there.
Once he came out of theatre, he was in recovery for 40 mins and we were discharged 20 mins after that. His ears are really swollen inside, however, he seems happier in the day and not crying as much. The night time is a totally different story and there really has not been much change, however, he is still pulling at his ears, so I don't think that they are pain free yet.
We have noticed a difference in his hearing, as he started crying when I turned on the vacuum cleaner, I am sure the hearing will improve once the swelling goes down.
So there we go, the operation has finally been done. I need a holiday!!!